Tuesday, June 7, 2011

"How Dare I"???? WTF????

Went to the doctors today... and whoah... transphobia/ignorance is alive and well in Montreal!!!!

I get in there, go to the reception, give my health card etc, then go sit. Well... this totally ignorant woman says to me "How dare you come to a doctors office like that when there could be children there!" (she had one btw). Whoah... what???? I had on my olive drab slacks, and a red shirt... wtf??? I said as much "what the hell do you mean? I'm not dressed provacative". She said just showing up "as a woman".

Whoah, total ignorance and intolerance.

At least I had not only the staff come to my defence, but some of the patients. One Muslim woman told her "what is wrong? If she has to be herself what concern is it to you?" and one Haitian dude told the woman to get out. The staff politely said "Madam, if you have a problem with her, please do be quiet and keep it to yourself, we will not stand for any form of hatred or discrimination, and if you do not like it we suggest you go elsewhere".

She was shut up pretty damn well. She did the "huff n puff" that those who realize that THEY are the ones wrong do, and have no recourse do. She shut up, but was red faced. She lasted at most 5 minutes and she picked up her kid and left. The poor kid with a look like "what is wrong mom" on her face because she obviously saw no prob and wondered why mommy was being that way.

So how dare I? Easy - I am me, you are you, you don't like me then that is your problem, and you can shut up n leave if you feel that strongly. I will NOT be denied my right to exist, and my right to health care.

The actions of the people in support did bring a tear to me. I was crying a bit and thanking them for being understanding, supportive, etc. As one eldery gentleman said "why wouldn't we be? You have a right to be yourself".

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I LOVE the last comment ... you have the right to be yourself! wonderful!!!!! people's ignorance & all that goes with it sucks. too bad more parents didn't teach their kids to ... not say anything if you cant say something nice. thats what mine taught me & what I taught mine ...